WORCESTER BOWLING CLUB
(Founded 1867) - Tel: 01905 25432
Green: Wood Terrace, off Sansome Walk, Worcester, WR1 1NY
Location of Bowls Club: Find Me
Website: Click here to access Website
   
When a photograph of the Club becomes available it will be inserted here
   
Approved Coloured Shirt: White Polo, club badge, red and black stripes over
right shoulder and left side of shirt
Club smoking policy: Non smoking
Email Contact: worcesterbowlsclub@hotmail.co.uk
President: Ian Hunt Tel:  

Captain:

 

Email

Arthur Jackson

 

worcesterbowlsclub@hotmail.com

Tel:

 

0781 3750364

 

Ladies Captain: N/A    
Mens Singles Champion: Arthur Jackson

Tel:

0781 3750364

Ladies Singles Champion: None Tel:  
Club Secretary: Jan Jackson
21 Bolton Avenue
Berkley Heywood
Worcester  WR4 0ST

Tel:

Mob:

01905 456115

07581 293019

Email: worcesterbowlsclub@hotmail.co.uk
Fixture Secretary: Rick Holloway

Tel:

Mob:

01905 25154

07958 146264

Email:

rickholloway39@yahoo.co.uk

       
Exec.Council Members Clive Hall arthurhall42@hotmail.com
  Roy Shinton  
       
The Clubs History:      
       

The present Club was preceded by the Arboretum Club who were known to have played in Wood Terrace that formed part of The Arboretum Pleasure Gardens that closed in 1866. Records show that hardly had the pleasure gardens closed when five members purchased land which now forms some part of the existing premises. By the time that the conveyances were signed a new green was laid, and opened on Monday April 22nd 1867, by A.C. Sherriff, one of the city’s MP’s. Like all greens at that time, it was termed ‘open’. Certainly, the Wood Terrace Club bowled all over the green with two woods and a large biased jack. Ball boys were paid the princely sum of 1d by each player, to collect the woods between ends.  

In 1893, the Club entered stage two of its career when it changed its name to become Worcester Bowling Club Ltd, and purchased a further 415 square yards on the western side of the present green.

In 1899 the Club built a pavilion and further land was purchased. This building was opened on July 27th 1899 and demolished in 1994 when the current pavilion was constructed. Among many artefacts that the Club still treasure is the original ceremonial door key, which is on display for all to admire to this day.  

The Club moved into the 20th Century with little change until 1922 when a group of bowlers from Scotland moved to Worcester to work for Sentinel Products based at Bromyard Road. These bowlers played level green bowls with unbiased jack, the game having been played in Scotland for some time. This led Albert Mutlow, the Club Secretary, in 1930 to consult with the Sentinel bowlers to revolutionise the game of bowls in South Worcestershire, and in 1927 the club levelled the green, and formed banks and ditches.  

The claim of being the first club in Worcestershire to play the rink game on a level green has never been challenged.

From that time the Club has never looked back, and joined the EBA through Herefordshire in 1928. The EBA visited the Club on May 16th 1929 “To give impetus to the rink game as compared with crown green”. It was Albert Mutlow who sounded out six local clubs as to the formation of the Worcestershire Bowling Association, and this was duly set up.  

In 1949 the Club purchased the freehold of the premises and green through Mr Walter Jones who latterly passed the deeds to the Club, a gesture for which the Club will always be grateful. From then on the Club has always been known as Worcester Bowling Club.  

During 1969 the club purchased further ground on which the new pavilion built in 1994, now stands and subsequently extended the green to what you see today.  

Looking down the list of members over the years, the Club has provided innumerable Presidents and Officials, together with International representatives and not least EBA Presidents.

 

Updated 2017