|STOURPORT BOWLING GREEN CLUB|
|Green:||Lickhill Road, Stourport On Severn, Worcs, DY13 8SB|
|Location of Bowls Club:||Find Me|
|Approved Coloured Shirt:||
White shirt, dark green side panels with gold piping, light blue
|Club smoking policy:||Non smoking or E-cigarettes in the Club, car park or on the
green - smoking only allowed in the designated area
|President:||Alan Guest||Tel:||01299 877269|
|Ladies Captain:||Avis Beddow||Tel:||01299 823421|
|Mens Singles Champion:||
|Ladies Singles Champion:||None||Tel:|
4 Oriole Close
12 Mentieth Close
|Tel: 01299 825851|
|Exec.Council Members||Ros Southamemail@example.com|
|The Clubs History:|
Stourport Bowling Green Club began life in 1853 as the Swan Quoits Club. Mr Gittens, the Swan Inn landlord was paid £3 per annum to keep the ground suitable for play, and being fined one shilling for each occasion when it was not in a proper condition. The annual subscription was at five shillings per annum.
In 1870 a bowling green was added and the Club called Stourport Quoit and Bowling Green Club. In 1880 the first groundsman was appointed, being paid £5 per annum, ground rent was £8 per annum. In 1885 the Club was renamed Stourport Bowling Green & Quoit Club and finally became known as Stourport Bowling Club in 1923, when quoits play ceased.
In 1952 Thomas Vale sold the ground and building to appointed trustees of the Club. In 1890 a President and Vice President were elected.
To celebrate the centenary in 1990 President Mr B. Matthews presented a crystal bowl, which he duly won, the runner up, Mr G. Piper received a pair of cut glass tankards.
In 1904 the Presidents Cup was donated and contested for. For the 2004 centenary event, President Mr S. Barkas presented an engraved crystal vase to the winner Mr H. Lane and an engraved tankard to runner-up Mr P. Millward.
During 2003/4 works were carried out at the Club by a band of dedicated members to bring the green and surrounds up to competition standards to enable the Club to apply for and be accepted as affiliated to the County Association.
The Club applied for an E.B.A. celebration game in 2005 and were delighted to be accepted. By a fortuitious coincidence the President of the E.B.A. was John Tolley from Worcestershire. He is now a frequent vistor and favourite of the Club.
Since 2005 the Club has extended its facilities including a larger club room, changing rooms, office and toilet for our physically challenged friends.
The bowling surface was replaced in 2008/9 and the club has had membership increases year on year since 2005.
We try to put on many events throughout the winter to keep the Club buoyant and short mat bowling is played weekly on three or more occasions.
In 2011 Bowls England visited under the leadership of President Joan Balding, Senior Vice President Stuart Lake and many dignitaries to play the annual fixture against the Welsh Bowling Association. The Club was delighted to have hosted this match.
Updated 10th January 2020