ST DUNSTANS BOWLING CLUB
(Founded 1911) - Tel: 01905 358696
Green: St Dunstans Crescenet, Worcester. WR52AF
Location of Bowls Club: Find Me
Website: www.stdunstans.btck.co.uk
   
St Dunstans Bowling Club
   
Approved Coloured Shirt: White with red side panels and red stripes on arms, green collar
Club smoking policy: Not on Green, Smoking Area provided.
Email Contact: seamstress666@btinternet.com
President: Melvyn Farmer Tel: 01886 821270
Captain: Alan Lerry Tel: 07538 678023
Ladies Captain: Margaret Price Tel:  01905 821533
Email:  
Mens Singles Champion: Mark Atkins Tel: 07848 037041
Ladies Singles Champion: Marie Borthwick Tel: 01905 350044

Club Secretary:
Ladies Rep:

Margaret Price
6 Aston Close
Kempsey
Worcs. WR5 3JR
Tel: 01905 821533
Email: seamstress666@btinternet.com
Fixture Secretary:
Terry Palmer
6 Farne Avenue
St Peters
Worcester
WR5 3RJ
Tel:  01905 767818
Email: terry.scruffydog@googlemail.com
     
Exec.Council Members Margaret Price seamstress666@btinternet.com
  Dave Marchant d.marchant370@btinternet.com
       
The Clubs History:      
       

The Club was formally established in 1911 and is now privately owned. A Mr Hinchcliffe agreed to lease has land to bowlers at a cost of £8 per annum.   Mr Horace Woods of St John’s was hired to level the ground and lay a crown green, paths and borders for £72-10-0. Mr Kimber was hired to erect a pavilion for £102-10-0 and members commenced play on 1st June 1911.  The following seasons opened the first week in April, ladies were allowed to play two afternoons a week.

In 1916 Mrs Harrington sold her plot, including ground let as allotments for £400-00.

During 1922 the Club approached Dr Crowe to buy his portion of land, he declined, but agreed in 1926, for the sum of £275-00.  

In 1932, Mr W. Jones offered the Club a mortgage of £350-00, enabling them to discharge the bank overdraft.   Another mortgage was undertaken in 1937, to repay Mr Jones and make further improvements. During the fifties the Committee sold ground to finance a flat green and redeem the mortgage, again in 1963 the tennis courts were sold, financing a car park and replacement pavilion.

In the nineties, ladies were finally allowed in, total mixed membership now stands at about one hundred. Late member John Williams, the Club Secretary for thirty years was made an Honorary Life Member of the County Association.  

Three Club members R. Bufton, R. Limerick and A. Sharples were runner-up in the Triples Championship.

 

Updates 2017