MALVERN PRIORY BOWLING CLUB
(Founded 1937)
Green: Priory Park,Orchard Road, Malvern. WR14 3DA
Location of Bowls Club: Find Me
Website: Website
   
Malvern Priory Bowling Club
   
Approved Coloured Shirt: None
Club smoking policy: No smoking in the Clubhouse
Email Contact:

dorothyjkeeling@googlemail.com

President: Greville Megson Tel: 01684 572748
Captain: Wayne Braddock Tel: 01684 574025
Mens Singles Champion: Wayne Braddock Tel: 01684 574025
Ladies Singles Champion: Doreen Newman Tel: 01684 310274
Club Secretary: Dorothy Keeling
15 Kings End Road
Powick
Worcs.  WR2 4RA
Tel: 01905 831542
Email: dorothyjkeeling@googlemail.com
Ladies Secretary:
Fixture Secretary:
Roy Barber
11 Hawkswood Close
Malvern
Worcs.  WR14 1QU
Tel: 01684 566249
Email:

roy.barber07@btinternet.com

Exec.Council Members Roger Davies

rogerjanice.davies@btopenworld.com

       
       
The Clubs History:      
       

Opened on 1st July 1937 the Club green was constructed on the site of a large demolished house in Orchard Road, adjacent to the Priory Park and Winter Gardens. The house was named “Gratenhurst” and the land was donated by the Misses, Poulton and Greenslade, to the Malvern Urban Disrtict Council solely for recreation and specifically for a bowling green. With its picturesque setting, having the 11th century Church & the Malvern Hills as background. The green has excellent drainage properties due to the house foundations and rubble beneath.  

Many Local Councillors have been members, and notably some have served as President, namely, Mr G.W. Grundy, Mr H.D. Parker & Mr E. Layton whose rose garden memorial is still tended by the Council and present Club members.

Long serving member Arthur McPhail was Club President and went on to be President of the County in 1982.

The several years of amalgamation with Malvern Police Club was a successful period of Club history. Never having a high membership the Club has however had County bowling successes.   During the Club’s Jubilee year in 1987 Messrs Derek Lean & David Mitchell were the County Pair’s Champions and represented the Club & County at the National Championships, and the late Past President Harry Addison was runner-up in the County Champion of Champions competition.

In 1996 the Club benefited from a “Sport & Arts” grant, and with additional help from the Malvern Hills District Council the pavilion was refurbished, extending the changing rooms and function room.  A long-term lease was also re-negotiated and much improvement was made to the green by Past County President Vic Blackshaw but due to the cost of green maintenance and lack of members the Club has struggled in recent years.

Nevertheless this is happily more than compensated by the enthusiastic influx each year of people new to bowling, who are always welcomed and “thrown in” to play in the full programme of friendly matches each season.

Present President Dr R.M. Holman is a retired G.P, whose influence has given the Club a renewed appetite for future success initiated by the recent past President Ian Robertson, and the late stalwart Harry Addison.

Updated 2016