ASTON SOMERVILLE BOWLING CLUB
(Founded 1925)
Green: Broadway Road, Aston Somerville. Broadway. WR12 7JG
Location of Bowls Club: Find Me
Website: Website Link
   
Aston Somerville Clubhouse
   
Approved Coloured Shirt: White Polo with Blue Collar, Red Side Panels and Piping
Club smoking policy: No Smoking in Clubhouse or Changing Rooms
Email Contact: ken.bick@btinternet.com
Chairman: Stan Copp Tel: 01386 852050
Captain: Vacant Tel:  
Mens Singles Champion: Jim Brewer Tel: 01242 677498
Ladies Singles Champion: Ann Crowther Tel: 01386 881675
Club Secretary: Ken Bick
61 Winchcombe Road
Sedgeberrow
Evesham 
WR11 7UZ
Tel: 01386 881115
Email: ken.bick@btinternet.com
Fixture Secretary: Brian Willmore
83 St James Drive
Evesham WR11 2UU
Tel: 01386 446945
Email: bwillmore1935@aim.com
Exec.Council Members Vacant    
  Vacant    
       
The Clubs History:      
       

The Club was formed in 1925, all men in the village being eligible. Subscriptions were set at 2/6 (12.5p) per year. Colonel Thin, who owned the Hall allowed the Club to use his lawn. Four pairs of bowls were purchased at a cost of 29 Shillings (1.50) per pair. In 1926 two matches were arranged with Broadway.

By 1935 matches were held with Tewkesbury, Bredon, Pershore (Brotherhood & Abbey), Blockley and Mickleton.

In 1950 there was a change of ‘ground’ to the Old Rectory Lawn.

In 1951 all bowls and mats were lost in a fire at the Rectory, generous donations from Kemerton and Evesham Police clubs, which enabled 4 pairs of bowls to be purchased, Evesham Police also donated bowls surplus to their requirements. In those days the keeper of the bowls would turn up with a sack full of bowls, tip them on the green, and the players had to sort out a matching pair.

The present green was laid down by members in 1958.

The Club became affiliated to the County Association in 1991.

We are still a small village Club and are well known for the variety of livestock surrounding our landlocked green.

 

Updated 2016