|DROITWICH SPA BOWLING CLUB|
|(Founded 1923) - Tel: 01905 778032|
|Green:||Lido Park, Worcester Road, Droitwich. WR9 8AA|
|Location of Bowls Club:||Find Me|
|Approved Coloured Shirt:||White with Club Badge|
|Club smoking policy:||No Smoking in Clubhouse or on Green|
|Email Contact:||[email protected]|
|President:||Ron Ashby||Tel:||01905 775896|
|Captain:||Richard Hulbert||Tel:||01905 938258|
|Ladies Captain:||Val Budding||Tel:||07399 394486|
|Email:||[email protected]||Mob:||07725 177837|
|Mens Singles Champion:||Mike White||Tel:|
|Ladies Singles Champion:||Pam Ashford||Tel:||01905 830366|
|Club Secretary:||Pam Ashford
50 Wheatfield Park
Worcester. WR2 4UP
|Secretary of Ladies||Pam Ashford||Tel:||01905 830366|
c/o Dritwich Spa Bowling Club
|Exec.Council Members||Ron Ashby|
|Pam Ashford||[email protected]|
|The Clubs History:|
The Club was formed in 1923 following an exploratory meeting between Dr P.A. Roden JP, together with Councillor Johnson Green, Major A.N. How, Mr J.W. Talbot & other civic dignitaries.
The green officially opened in 1925 with the first match being played against Worcester County Ground, inter-club competitions also started that year.
In 1929 the then Club Secretary reported that an invitation had been received to join the County Association.
In 1933 it was decided at the Annual General Meeting to increase the annual subscriptions to £1.5.0d, to cover the cost of the Council grebe rental of £50.0.0d.
Following the second world war the first ladies competitive bowls took place.
In 1982 the Council declared they could no longer afford to maintain the green so the Club undertook the responsibility, a drinks licence was granted and an extension built to house the bar. The floodlights were installed in 1983, being sponsored by ABEC Transmission Products Ltd.
Discussions took place in 1985 regarding the construction of a purpose built brick construction. Fund raising events followed, guided by Club President Mike Willis and his assistant Phil Holbrook. The new Clubhouse was officially opened by the English Bowling Association President John Hall.
The Club has provided the County with 2 Presidents over the years, R.D. Lloyd in 1976 and Mike Willis in 2002 and at the time of his Presidency of the English Bowling Association, John Hall was a member of the Club.
The Club has also provided individuals who have assisted in the administration of the County Association in Ron Ashby as County Match Secretary in the 1980’s, and Brian Dovey as Assistant County, Minute & Tour Secretary.
The club has provided numerous County Champions, too many to mention, who have represented the County at National, Midland & Three Counties Championships, and also supplied many County Team members for Middleton Cup & Midland Counties Trophy teams.
Updated January 10h 2020